Monday, June 7, 2010

Free Sample Friday Guest Stars?

So, as many of you undoubtedly know, we have a little feature on this blog called "Free Sample Friday". Every Friday, I upload a little micopack of WAV samples for your enjoyment and (hopefully) inspiration. I'd long thought that it might be interesting to have 'guest' editions of Free Sample Friday. Yesterday, Waveformless reader Peter sent me a message on Facebook inquiring about the possibility of something like this, so I decided maybe it was something worth floating out there. I have some interesting equipment, but I don't have the budget to constantly pick up a lot of old or weird gear (donations gladly accepted, though!) and I am SURE we have some readers out there with some awesome stuff they could share. We'd of course need to set some guidelines to ensure no copyrighted material appeared and that it was in a uniform format, but I think it could be a cool chance for readers to participate. What do you all think? Do you have some weird old drum machine or circuit bent monstrosity people might be interested in? Have some cool found percussion or incredibly rare analogue beasty? Speak up in the comments section and let's see if we can get something cool going...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Voltage Disciple has an MS20 we could do a pack for
www.voltagedisciple.com

fractured said...

Well, you know I'm in!

-Peter aka fractured

Anthony said...

I'm down. The only thing is all my samples are made to work with Ableton or anyy other sample that can sweep through the wave.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have a prophet '08 and Alesis ION I could provide some factory samples from. I could cook up some things from my Paia Fatman and modular as well.

Just let me know what format, size, etc and I'll get started. I can't host though.


~w~

Unknown said...

Here are some free samples of my old Roland JX-10. It's not much and some files may require a little bit of additional post-processing, but feel free to use them!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/faa03y

Cheers!

Matthias

Joshua said...

I don't have a lot of interesting gear, but I do make and collect all kinds of weird sample material, so I could definitely contribute some odd tweaked tape noise effects or something.

On the other hand, sounds from my sub-standard gear might be somewhat interesting to those who can afford the good stuff and haven't bothered...haha.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea...

BUT why did you remove the SampleMagic review?

Tom said...

Anonymous - I agreed to have a second look now that the rather significant technical issues had been resolved in case my feelings towards the collection were colored by them...