Monday, May 11, 2009

Propellerheads Introduces "Record"



Here's
the link to the product page. There's still just some basic info at this point (I'm typing this at 3 AM since that's when Propellerheads' Record site went live), but my initial thoughts are, this is going to be a tough sell. It looks like it will mainly appeal to people using Reason. But with how long Propellerheads left Reason crippled without audio recording capabilieis, most people using it seriously already use it with Rewire connected to another DAW such as Logic or Live. I'm not seeing anything here that would make most people want to abandon those and learn a new DAW. The Line-6 and SSL-modeled mixing channels are nice, but probably not enough for most people to switch. There's not much info yet, though, so I freely admit I could be totally wrong. I just think to compete in a DAW market with multiple, well-established programs, they really needed to offer something revolutionary, and at first glance, this doesn't appear to be it.

That interface looks like a cluttered mess, too, in my opinion.


So what do you think? Is this something that has you excited? Am I just a cranky old fart?





4 comments:

aL said...

I've been using Reason since 1.0 in 2000 (and ReBirth since 1999), and while I think this is kind of cool, the lack of support for VST/AU plug-ins pretty much kills it. As you mentioned, I've been using Reason with another DAW for years and I don't see how this new product would improve my workflow. However, I'm such a sucker for Propellerheads' products, I may check it out anyway, seeing as how it's not very expensive.

Tuzemec said...

At first glance the interface looks like a real mess.
And maybe I'm getting it wrong, but this seems just like a some kind of fancy wrapper for Reason.

Anyway... it's just my first impression. :-)

mangadrive said...

Horrible workflow. I'm pretty OCD about stuff being in order and in line. Reason freaks me out when I open it and just watching that video about gave me a panic attack.

Anyone else think it was kinda humorous that most of the 2nd video and recording audio was like it was a revolution in DAW?

Maybe I'm cranky and old too but no thanks.

Fixate said...

My initial thoughts were that this looks pretty cool, used to use Reason exclusively.

The one thing that drew me away from Reason and into Live was VST support. Had this been included, this might have been my new DAW.

ReWire is just too much of a hassle IMO.